Nomination Period: July 5th - July 26th with a firm deadline at midnight.
How to Nominate: ALTA members will receive the digital nomination form vial email on July 4th. Nominations may not be edited once submitted.
Who Can Nominate:
- Individuals: Each ALTA member may submit 1 nomination in each category, but members have the freedom to abstain from nominating or abstain from nomination in a specific category.
- Groups: One representative from a Latinx-Centric theater or theater-making group (see FAQ for further information) can speak as the Artistic Leader and their nominations will be weighted as 10 member votes (they do not get 10 different votes). That representative, when they designate themselves on the form, does not also get an individual ALTA member nomination.
- If there is more than one person who may act as this representative, they must communicate with each other to determine who will act as representative for the sake of these awards. This is so that no Latinx theater receives imbalanced voting weight.
- Nonmembers: Chicagoland, Latinx-identified, theater makers may register to become members of ALTA during the nomination period until July 21st (five days before nominations close) if they would like to participate in nominations. ALTA member registration will resume on July 27th.
Who Cannot Nominate:
- Ally theaters who are not Latinx-centric in their mission statement may not submit nominations. We invite ALTA members to nominate the work of allied theaters (see FAQ for further information).
- Individuals who are not ALTA members may not submit nominations (see FAQ for further information).
- Committee: There is no committee (see FAQ for further information).
Who Can Be Nominated:
- For individual awards, any Latinx self-identified artist or theater maker in the Chicagoland area may be nominated. ALTA membership is not required to be nominated (see FAQ for further information).
- For group awards, any Latinx-Centric production or theater making group, meaning Latinx-centric in content and creation, that is in the Chicagoland area, may be nominated (see FAQ for further information).
- Productions must have been opened/begun between July of 2017 and July of 2018, exclusive of improvisation and storytelling, which may be ongoing.
- Latinx companies should be considered to be any company that is Latinx-Centric in their company's mission statement.
- Yes, you can nominate yourself. We will not tell anyone.
Nomination Categories: Outstanding Play, Musical, Director of a Play, Director of a Musical, Ensemble, Sketch Ensemble, Improv Ensemble, Actor in a Principal Role in a Play, Actor in a Principal Role in a Musical, Supporting Actor in a Play, Supporting Actor in a Musical, Solo Performance, Performance in a Sketch or Review, Improv Performer, Choreography, Music Direction, Original Music in a Play, Fight Choreography or Intimacy Design, Scenic Design, Lighting Design, Costume Design, Sound Design, Projections/Visual Design, Artistic Specialization, Stage Management, Storyteller, Casting Direction, and Art as Activism. In honor of those who paved the way, we will also be awarding the Luis Alfaro Leadership Award, the Migdalia Cruz Mentorship Award, the Luis Valdez Arts Activism Award, and the María Irene Fornés New Play Award.
Voting Period: August 9th - August 30th with a firm deadline at midnight.
How to Vote: ALTA members will receive a voting form via email. Ballots may not be edited once submitted.
Who's on the Ballot:
- The top 5 listed nominations in each group category will be on the on the ballot. In the event there is a tie preventing only 5 nominations, tied nominations will also be added to the ballot.
- The top 10 listed nominations in each solo category will be on the ballot. In the event there is a tie preventing only 10 nominations, additional nominations will also be added to the ballot.
- If a category receives no nominations, this will be an area highlighted as an area of continued effort as we continue to strive for inclusion in all aspects of theater and theater making.
Who Can Vote:
- Each ALTA member may cast 1 vote in each category, but members have the freedom to abstain from voting or abstain from voting in a specific category.
- Groups may not vote; only individuals who are ALTA members may vote (see FAQ for further information).
- Chicagoland, Latinx-identified, theater makers may register to become members of ALTA during the nomination period until August 25th (five days before nominations close) if they would like to participate in nominations. ALTA member registration will resume on August 31st.
Nominees: Will be notified via press release and should plan to respond to the instructions in that release if they would like to attend the event.
Winners: Will be the single nominee receiving the most votes in each category, In the event of a tie. the award title will be shared (see FAQ for further information). Nominees do not need to be present to win, but it is recommended that you have someone planned to retrieve your award.
Where: Victory Gardens Theater
When: October 8th, 2018 at 6:00pm
Who Can Attend: Anyone!
- ALTA Members will not be charged for entry.
- Nominees from individual categories, plus a single guest, will not be charged for entry.
- Other guests may purchase tickets; details will be released closer to the date.
Awards Participation: ALTA is lead by unpaid volunteers. No leader will be paid for their service to these awards and no profit will be made from this event. If you have a service or skill you'd like to donate or would like to volunteer, please contact us here and we will connect from there!